Key findings from our study
We recently completed survey of more than 5,000 online shoppers and revealed that:
- Coupon code users are spending 37% more than shoppers who don’t use them – Online retailers who offer coupons enjoy higher average order values from those customers that utilize them
- 36% of users will purchase elsewhere if a coupon is not available – Online retailers are losing money and customers without a coupon strategy
- 77% of shoppers followed their favorite brands on social media to stay informed of sales – Your customers are on social for flash sales, coupons and new product deals.
- 29% of online shoppers will buy a heavily discounted item they originally did not intend to purchase – FOMO is real — the fear of missing out on a good deal can drive online sales
- 81% of shoppers like to receive emails with information about sales and discounts – Many customers rely on email to hear about sales and new discounts.
- “Percentage off” discounts are preferred by 74% of online coupon users – Percentage off coupons are favored due to the big savings opportunities on larger order sizes vs. strict dollar amount discounts.
- 34% of shoppers consider free shipping to be mandatory for online shopping – The “Amazon effect” on shipping cost expectations has conditioned consumers to expect on additional fees for fast shipping.
- 81% of online shoppers had made 1 or more purchases on their mobile device – Mobile shopping in no longer a trend. Omni-channel shopping experiences should be seamless between mobile and desktop.
- 17% of online shoppers reported having an automatic “coupon-finding” browser extension – The most popular coupon extension used was Honey which was used by 3 of the 5 respondents.
- 53% of online shoppers also use physical coupons – Once a coupon user, always a coupon user — whether physical or digital!
Want to learn more?
Download the full study or contact us to get a quote or interview for your article. We’re happy to provide additional insights from our data.