I think we can all agree that fax machines can be considered somewhat “archaic.” However, there are still a number of cases where you have no choice but to use this clunky relic of the past. For example, many government agencies and law firms still rely on fax machines as a convenient way to send and receive copies of physical documents.
This use of faxing doesn’t really justify purchasing an expensive fax machine, as well as the pricey paper, toner and repairs that come with it. If your business needs to send a fax, there are both free and paid online services available that provide cloud-based faxing.
Here are five reasons why you should consider using an online, cloud-based faxing service:
- You can ditch the actual fax machine. Even if you have the budget for it, most modern offices have opted to say goodbye to the fax machine. Why would you want a loud, heavy obstacle cluttering up your office, when you can have the complete bliss of doing it all online? Online faxing is the way forward.
- Know your recipient. Let’s face it: as much as old-fashioned faxing was considered “handy,” when you sent a fax, did you honestly know who was reading it at the receiving end? You could only hope that some Joe Shmoe didn’t pick up and read your confidential information. Now, online fax services provide comfort in the security of technology. Faxes are delivered directly to inboxes as PDFs, and all incoming and outgoing faxes are stored in the cloud. No more misplaced faxes!
- No more costly toner, paper or repairs. Fax machine costs can easily rack up – there’s the machine itself along with its upkeep, the paper, the toner and the fax line. It becomes never ending. Online faxing services should give you one clear price per month which includes everything – even the number. Plus, installation isn’t necessary, which is a massive benefit. Just sign up and you’re set!
- Going mobile is fun. Online faxing really leaves that clunky fax machine behind and puts the new world of faxing right in the palm of your hand – literally. Today, many online faxing services offer mobile apps for quick and convenient faxing.
- Fax to email is the future!Being a slave to the old fax machine was never fun. Now you can have faxes arrive directly to your inbox, wherever you are. Online faxing makes the whole faxing process a lot like email – fast and painless!
If you’re just an occasional fax user, consider these free online faxing services:
- FaxZero – FaxZero is free to send faxes to the U.S. and Canada. You are limited to sending a cover (with FaxZero branding) plus three pages for free at once, but do get up to five free faxes per day. You can opt to pay $1.99 per fax to send up to 25 pages and get rid of the FaxZero branding. Faxing can be slow, as you have to wait to receive an email from FaxZero, then click the link within the email to send your fax.
- HelloFax – HelloFax lets you send five pages of faxes total for free. You have the opportunity to earn 20 more pages to send by completing certain quests. After using your free pages, the cost is $0.99 per fax up to 10 pages, then $0.20 for every page after that. Paid services range from $9.99 to $39.99 per month and include receiving faxes plus sending faxes via email. A 30-day free trial of paid services is available.
- eFax – With eFax, you can only receive 10 faxes per month for free. eFax’s paid services – ranging from $16.95 to $19.95 per month – offer the ability to both send and receive, as well as provide you with a toll-free number and access to the mobile app. A 30-day free trial of paid services is available.
If you are a more frequent fax user, consider the following paid online faxing services:
- RingCentral – RingCentral is a cloud-based communications platform including phone, instant messaging, fax and more. There are fax-only plans available, ranging from $12.99 to $39.99 per month. The lowest tier includes 750 pages per month with a cost of $0.06 per page for additional pages, and the highest tier offers unlimited pages. All plans include a toll-free or local number, integration with Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft Outlook and more, and the ability to send and receive faxes via computer, email or mobile app. A free trial is available.
- Nextiva – Nextiva is also a cloud-based communications platform. Nextiva’s fax-only services range from $4.95 to $29.95 per month billed annually, or $8.95 to $34.95 per month billed monthly. The lowest tier includes 500 pages per month, and the highest tier includes 3,000 pages per month. All plans include the ability to send and receive faxes via computer, email or mobile device, as well as a toll-free number. A 30-day free trial is available.
- MyFax – MyFax’s paid services range from $10 to $40 per month and include a local, toll-free or international number, and the ability to send and receive faxes via computer, email or mobile app. The lowest tier includes 100 sent and 200 received pages per month, and the highest tier includes 400 sent and 400 received pages per month. A unique feature compared to other online faxing services, MyFax lets you send one fax to 50 different fax numbers at the same time. A 30-day free trial is available.