You have a business that you built from your great ideas. But getting ideas and turning them into a business is really only half the battle.
Once you open your business, you need to start marketing it. You may have already learned about things like SEO on your websites or creating ads to raise brand awareness, but have you written a press release?
|1||$299||Rated 4.5 stars|
|2||$19||Rated 4.5 stars|
|3||$99||Rated 4 stars|
Why should I send a press release?
Press releases are the perfect way to get information about your business and its products and services out to potential customers and to websites.
You may be skeptical at first. Here are the top reasons why your business needs a press release:
- Press Releases Help Build Authority: One of the biggest things that businesses need to have is authority. It earns the trust and respect that your business needs to be a huge success by establishing importance of your SMB and why people should care.
- Effective Press Releases Create Awareness: It is hard to get word out about your SMB. You are competing with so many others, especially well established companies. Press releases can get you noticed by the media, and media coverage is the best free marketing any SMB can possibly ask for.
- Press Releases Help Increase Profits: Press releases are an incredible marketing tool that you may overlook in favor of more modern methods of marketing like social media and ads. If you want to have a highly effective marketing plan, a press release can be very helpful.
- Press releases can also increase traffic to your website. Much like an SEO-rich blog, press releases can draw much-needed attention to your business. They have SEO benefits that will draw attention to your company though tagging and other keywords. You will end up getting backlinks that will bring even more traffic to your website.
Press releases are so much more than ads. Press releases are so effective at improving sales because they help generate new sales leads that bring in greater business.
Press releases can also be distributed across more platforms than other things like ads with little effort. What does this mean for you?
You are going to end up saving money in the long run because you are not wasting resources in multiple areas through different ad campaigns that may not be successful.
You save money through press releases and how they are able to target exactly the potential customers you are built for. Plus, press releases are a less expensive marketing tool.
How to write your own effective press release?
Press releases are just as important for startups as they are for more established companies. All industries can benefit from press releases, from creative self-employed entrepreneurs to people in the technology sector and everyone in between. Press releases can get you the media attention that you need to get your brand out there.
Understanding just how important a press release is and how to write a great press release are two different challenges.
How do you write your own, highly effective press release?
- A main image that helps you to tell the story of your press release. People love visuals and also helps the reporter when writing about the release.
- Include quotes from important people in the topic you are writing about. This will give you some authority to help make your press release have a bigger impact.
- Reliable links to statistics, facts, research, and other things that will aid the journalist in writing a story about your press release by providing accurate information from reputable sites.
- Available on RSS news feeds. Reporters rely on RSS feeds to get news stories so it would greatly benefit you to do this to get your message out there.
- Additional information such as case histories, human interest stories and links to other credible sources to help your reader better understand your message.
- Social media. Stay up on current trends to attract the attention of reporters who are scouring the internet for interesting news topics.
More on PR release templates:
- Follow a template. A template will make sure your press release looks authoritative and professional and so that you don’t forget valuable information.
- Clarity, simplicity, and precision. They should be between 500 and 800 words. The shorter and simpler the read, the more likely the masses will want to read it.
- Factual and newsworthy. It should also be something that is exciting and relevant to get people interested in your press release.
- Headline. A great headline draws the reader in and gets them to read your press release. If you make a press release with a dull headline, you are going to reduce your chances of getting your press released published. By coming up with something catchy, you will get the views that you need.
- Contact details. Have contact information and your website link so readers can reach your staff easily.
- Sources. Credit and cite the sources you use when creating your press release. This will show that you used credible sources and made sure that you checked the information for accuracy.
The final stages of PR release writing:
- Edit. Have your press release looked at by a few different people to ensure the information is correct and that there are no mistakes.
- Make your press release stand out from others in your industry. By standing out, you will attract the attention that you need to get people interested in your company.
- Leave your readers wanting more from you by the end of your press release. Think of your press release as a teaser to attract a mass amount of interest in your company.
- Summary. A lot of people will not want to read the entire thing and the summary will give them the gist of what the press release is about.
- Focus. Make sure that your press release centers around the news that you are trying to get out and not your brand. It will seem less like a sales pitch and more like an informative piece.
- The Four “W’s. You should always answer the why, when, what, and where of the situation or event.
- Written in the 3rd person. This is an objective point of view that gives more authority than another point of views.
- Stay current. This world is rapidly changing and your press release needs to reflect the most current information. Press releases should be used anytime your company reaches a specific, noteworthy milestone. If it is a moment that you want to celebrate with your customers, send out a press release.
- Headers and bullet points. This will break up the text and make it more readable.
- “About the Company” section. Make sure this section is added in a way that doesn’t distract from the actual press release. This will help readers know just who you are, which will give you the brand awareness that you have been looking for.
Things To Avoid in a Press Release
Just like how the important components in a press release can benefit your company, mistakes and errors in crafting a press release can remove those benefits quickly. Follow these tips of mistakes to steer clear of in writing an effective press release.
- Don’t be too wordy. Consider it like a general summary of the topic. If you are too wordy, you are probably going to lose the attention of the readers.
- Don’t get too technical. Unless you are targeting your release to industry experts, releases with a lot of jargon will leave people feeling lost.
- Avoiding using clichés, superlatives, or generalizations. Boring language can be a turn off for your readers and they will not be interested in your press release. A press release is no good if you cannot get an audience to read them.
- Don’t use a generic company link as your contact. You will want to make sure that you link your press release to an actual person that people can contact directly.
- Don’t forget things like infographics, charts, slide decks, whitepapers or PDFs. There should be links to them in your press release so that you can get your point across in a visual way.
- Avoid including the history of your company. They only want to read relevant information to the press release and they can’t do this if you spend more time talking about the history of your company rather than something new and exciting that your company is involved in.
- Don’t send an outdated press release. An outdated press release typically has information that people have already read.
- Don’t send out a press release on every single thing that happens. You want to make sure that you only send out a press release for information that is important, otherwise, you are going to be wasting everyone’s time.
The importance of editing a PR release:
- Don’t send without editing. Never send out a press release that has not been looked over by the appropriate members of your staff. People will not want a press release that is not well-written and full of grammatical and spelling errors. You also do not want to send out a press release that does not contain accurate information.
- Do not use language that is too “salesy.” You want to use your press release as a way to get information out about your company, not to over-sell your product. Your press release will already be a great marketing tool for your products, but it will sell your products or services in a more subliminal way.
- Refrain from sending out multiple press releases at the same time. This is information overload and will distract from your other press releases. Space out your press releases in enough time to get the full use of the sales benefit from them before moving onto the next topic.
- Don’t ask questions, give answers. By asking questions, you are going to lose the benefits of making your business look like the authority in their industry.
- Don’t assume you’re readers will read everything. You want to make sure that the important information stands out so that they catch the important information while glancing through the press release.
- Avoid burrying your important quotes. Quotes offer information that your readers want so you need to make sure that it stands out.
- Don’t link to unreliable websites. This is something that could ultimately hurt your reputation and weaken your authority.
- Don’t send to journalists not a part of your industry. This will be a waste because it will likely not get published since their readers would likely not be interested in it.
How to Distribute a Press Release
Once you have it written, you’ll need to figure out how to send the releases out to the right places.
- Find a Press Release Distributor. Wherever you send out your press release, it needs to be where your target market base will come across it.
- Target Your Press Release. Who are your target customers? Your answer will determine where you send out your press release and how you tweak the content to fit your audience.
Why Use Press Release Distribution Services?
There are so many benefits to distributing your press release through a specific service. Since you have written your own press release, you can save money by just using these services to get your press release out there without incurring the additional causes of having them write one for you.
These are often quite inexpensive, especially when you compare the costs to various other methods of advertising. As a business owner, you know just how expensive advertising is and you can really save your money here.
- You are also going to establish yourself as an authority on the industry. This is going to be so important if you want your customers to trust you and take you seriously.
- You will also raise awareness for your brand, which will increase based on just how far this distribution goes. Every company, big and small, can greatly benefit from distributing their press releases.
Choosing Where to Distribute
You can write great content in your press release, but if you can’t distribute it effectively, your work won’t accomplish your desired goals. Finding a source to share your press release to get it in front of the people you want takes intention. There are several options where you can distribute your press release. But each outlet has features and elements that may make choosing one better than the other.
Here, we share an overview of what to look for in choosing a place to distribute your engaging and well-written press release:
- Media and reporter reach: Will you be able to determine which regions will see and read your press release? Targeting your location of readers will help bring you the best results in distributing your press release.
- Performance analytics: When you submit a press release to a distributor, your work isn’t quite over. You’ll want a service that allows you to continue to track where, when and how your precious press release is shared.
- User-friendly process: Many press release distribution services emphasize being user-friendly so that you can easily write, send and track how your release is making its presence in your industry.
Relationship with Journalists
Journalists are key personnel who can help you reach your intended audience. They’re the ones who decide whether to write and share your story or ignore it by seeing is as irrelevant or not credible.
Make sure the press release distribution service you utilize has a solid reputation and has beneficial relationships with journalists and the media. Check to see if the distributor has established relationships with companies like the Associated Press, Newswire and Google News.
Press Release Requirements
It’s also helpful to look into what the press release distribution service requires of submitted press releases. Some have differing requirements for the word count of the press release.
There are paid and free versions of press release distribution services. Both paid and unpaid services have their benefits – but it’s also important to understand that free services are often free for a reason.
Paid services often have better connections and standards that will typically bring better results to creating awareness of your press release content.
The Best Press Release Sites
You have some options when it comes to distributing press releases. Here are some of the options that you can consider for distributing your press releases:
If you are a local business that mainly deals out of a brick and mortar store rather than a solely online business or one that operates in many locations, PRWeb is the perfect choice for you.
They specialize specifically in regional and local distributions of press releases. There is also no annual fee with this option and your fee per press release option is dependent on the chosen level of distribution.
This is a popular distribution option that you may not have heard of. Ereleases has been listed as among the best press release options out there.
It is a paid option but you are actually able to access such great press release distribution companies like PR Newswire without having to pay the higher price for it since eReleases has PR Newswire included on their list of distribution locations.
Their distribution list also includes many bloggers that can really help you to get your press release out there to your target market.
This website offers free submissions for press releases and free distribution services. From here, these press releases are then distributed to different search engines, can be found on the PR.com syndicate feed, and distributed to various news sites that are online.
The great thing about the PR.com syndicate feed is that it is published on quite a few news sites. This company will also send out press releases via email to journalists and other media professions who have opted in on this mailing list for new press releases.
Here you will also get free press distribution services. They will put the press releases on their website as well as distributing the press releases via email to the media outlets on their email lists.
What makes this website unique is that this website actually tries to eliminate spam submissions by having a strict editorial process when it comes to press releases submitted to them.
They also do not allow free provider email sites such as Google in their submissions either. They want to make sure that your message gets out there.
Free Press Release
This website offers both paid and free options for you to look at for your press release distribution. The press releases on this website are actually keyword-indexed through Google and the website is very easy to navigate around.
As far as press release distribution sites go, this one is the most popular option. It does require money to distribute your press release but they do offer various packages so that you can find something that really suit the needs of your business.
They offer things like a Small Business Toolkit, which has packages that are perfect for small businesses. They charge users on an annual basis but they also charge fees every time that you use their services to distribute a press release.
One of the best things here is that you are able to get your company’s press release to both online and offline media locations. You are also able to better target your market more specifically, which is also incredible.
This website is another website that you also have to pay for their distribution services. There is no annual fee but you do have to pay for each press release that you send out.
It is among the cheaper options, which is great for those with a limited budget, but you do sacrifice in terms of where your press release can be distributed.
This is a leading blog on women in business and if you have a press release that is related to this target audience of women business professionals or entrepreneurs, you can submit it here.
They will post the link to your press release for free on the website right on the home page as well as publishing the press release itself.
Small Business Trends
SmallBizTrends.com is a very popular website for news, tips, and other valuable information that is related to small business. You have probably even read it a few times in your life as a business professional.
You can submit your press release for them to publish for free, which is great if you can actually get your press release published.
Google and Yahoo! news sites are very popular for readers, so it makes sense that you would want to get your press release on these sites. This is one company that can send your press release to not just Google News, but to somewhere over 50 other websites. It is a pretty inexpensive option in comparison to other choices.
24/7 Press Release
This is another pay website but you can have access to both traditional media and online media for publishing your press release. Your press releases will be sent to several thousands of newspapers and magazines while also having access to numerous news sites including Google and Yahoo! News websites.
It is also available for bloggers and journalists to browse through on their own. These are only a few of the great things that you have access through this particular distribution service.